- Sat, 17:01: Don't be fooled. #Obama hasn't stopped #StandingRock #pipeline. The pause is same old con game: https://t.co/n4YQ7JgHhg
- Sat, 17:19: One of the most delightful, and shockingly erudite, interviews it's been my pleasure to encounter in years! https://t.co/BvjG1j924h?
- Sat, 23:24: It's true, #Trump interviewed on #Russian-backed news channel - by noted Russian stooge, er, #larryking. https://t.co/Ob093zWyWW #us2016
- Sat, 23:34: #BasketOfDeplorabels? Way to win hearts & minds, #Hillary. Out-Trumpimp #Trump not UR best strategy. https://t.co/w91x92ZqHf #us2016
- Sat, 23:45: @IAmJeffEmmerson this is getting too, too flattering. 4th time U've Followed me. So, 3rd time U've unfollowed. What gives?
On the uneasy satisfaction of prescience
This afternoon, I drove my sweetie to the airport. She's off to Europe for a couple of weeks, scratching her nomad's need to move. As we drove in, she noticed the Canadian flag flying above The MacDonald-Cartier International Airport's welcome sign was at half-mast. "Look at that!" she said, "I wonder who died."
It took me a moment, then I realized. "It's 9/11!"
And of course, that's who died, the special victims, our victims, to be mourned forever, because 15 years on, we are a nation at war. Sort of.
And I remembered that I had written what I thought was a pretty powerful piece of analysis not so long after the fact, and went looking for it when I returned home. Only to realize that, somehow, it was a piece of work no longer attached to my website. Somehow, gone, lord only knows when or how.
Thank god for Archive.org! There were my words (not to mention an even more primitive design than the one "gracing" my site now), preserved for posterity, and for me. Remind me to send them a donation.
In any event, what follows is (but for a half-dozen typos I could not resist correcting) exactly what I posted on October 8, 2001.
It is, if I do say so myself, almost frightening in its prescience. To quote H.G. Wells, writing (if memory serves) on the eve of the Second World War, "I told you so, you damned fools." Click here for my full, depressingly accurate look ahead from October 8, 2011.
This entry was originally posted at http://ed-rex.dreamwidth.org/284178.html. Comment there using OpenID, or here as per normal.