- Thu, 12:15: Flight to bottom begun by Liberals, perfected by @pmharper. Well-being of Canada's children gets worse | http://t.co/wZtRHfFHr9 #HarperWatch
- Thu, 13:27: Good teacher on the need to teach consent. The Day I Taught How Not to Rape http://t.co/8LA9EFcv0k via @wordpressdotcom
- Thu, 18:37: Methocarbamol doesn't just relax muscles, makes very sleepy. In combo with futon, am optimistic. Virus also seems on defensive. #BadBack
- Thu, 18:39: Happiness = nap+bowl of beef rendang brought to me by sweetie afterwords. (For record, *I* made the rendang.) #BadBack #CulinarySelfLove
- Thu, 18:59: RT @AllenWatson23: What a horrible 2 days. If it happens to you - My Twitter got Suspended - How I got it restored in 2 days http://t.c ...
- Thu, 21:28: RT @wikileaks: Presumably once the flawed trial of Bradley Manning is over, and it is too late, Amnesty will milk his plight for life.
- Thu, 21:39: RT @SarahKSilverman: Brave people don't try to take rights away from others.
- Fri, 02:05: RT @OccupyWallStNYC: The "RECOVERY": 1) Record profits 2) Record low wages 3) Worst employment in 3 decades. http://t.co/hJvWe3beWQ #OWS
The Rings of Akhaten" is solid Doctor Who
Decent space opera fun is welcome tonic in a dismal era
I really enjoyed this episode on my first viewing and, despite hearing from some quarters that it was awful — worse even than "The Bells of Saint John" — I liked it well enough the second time 'round, too. But then I've always had a preference for off-Earth adventures and have a fondness for space stations, so possibly I cut it more slack than I otherwise might.
In any case, "The Rings of Akhaten" suffers from special effects more ambitious than successful and, maybe, from a script that was cut down hard to make a two-part story into a single episode, but still managed some decent space opera fun, a welcome dollop of secular-humanist scepticism courtesy of the Doctor and our first chance to get to know Clara Oswald as more than just a mystery with a fetching smile, but as a genuine character.
For my full review, visit "Good news from the Rings, someplace (almost) awesome". Spoilers as per usual.
This entry was originally posted at http://ed-rex.dreamwidth.org/253058.html. Comment there using OpenID, or here as per normal.